In today’s evolving healthcare environment, Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) such as nurse practitioners (NPs), clinical nurse specialists (CNSs) and physician assistants (PAs) are increasingly stepping into key leadership roles in units and departments across the spectrum of patient care.
Adapting to this trend, The Center for Advanced Practice at Stanford Health Care (SHC) has championed the concept of the Advanced Practice hospital. This is a staffing and management model that is designed to formally recognize and support APPs in new leadership roles. SCH has pioneered reporting structures, leadership roles, and hospital processes with the needs of APPs in mind.
Operationalizing APP Services
Healthcare systems across the country are following the lead of SCH and moving toward an Advanced Practice Structure. This often means creating systems and processes to recruit, credential, utilize, and retain the best APP talent. These changing staffing models help healthcare institutions continually improve operations and go after new initiatives. Well-structured APP services often lead to a greater focus on patient care, more fully utilized APP leaders, and stronger healthcare teams. These benefits ultimately foster a safer, more effective, and financially-sound environment.
Key Characteristics of an Advanced Practice Structure
• Bi-directional communication to create alignment among hospital leadership, nursing, physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants
• Orientation alignment to meet the need for support, training, and didactic education for new graduates or APPs who are new to a unit
• Preceptor training and resources for successful orientation
• Feedback related to preceptor education and preparation
• APP feedback, governance, and support
• APP Professional/personal development, research, quality and efficiency in project and program development
• FTE and Staffing management and leadership
• Optimization and communication of the role of the NP
• Staffing and practice standards
• Revenue generation oversite and support
Melnic Specializes in APP Staffing
We are committed to helping hospitals and clinics build and grow APP services, through a focus on staffing, recruitment, and retention. If you would like more information about building an Advanced Practice Structure for APRNs and PAs, please contact us.