A list of free clinical resources and program development briefs to advance your career in Critical Care.
- Davis Drug Guide Davis’s Drug Guide includes drug monographs for thousands of medications from the new 16th edition update, regularly revised to keep you current. Quickly answer questions about dosing, administration and patient safety.
- Medscape Weight Based Dosage Calculator The Medscape Weight Based Dose Calculator is used for weight based dosing. The parameters for the calculator include dosage, weight, med amount, per volume.
Drug Dosing Apps
- Calculate by QxMD From the developer of ‘Read by QxMD’, ‘The ECG Guide’ and ‘Pedi STAT’ comes ‘Calculate’, a next-generation clinical calculator and decision support tool, freely available to the medical community.
- Infinite Dose: The Smart Drug Dosage Calculator A must have drug dosing app for every physician or nurse to calculate the most difficult intravenous Emergency, ICU and NICU drugs doses or just the simplest pediatric outpatient daily oral medications.
- Lexicomp Mobile App by Wolters Kluwer A mobile solution that provides access to drug and clinical information on the latest smartphones and tablets.
Pediatric Acute and Critical Care Resources
- OPENPediatrics This is an open-access online community of healthcare professionals sharing best practices from all resource settings around the world through innovative collaboration and digital learning technologies.
- Pediatric Critical Care Lectures by the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
- NAPNAP Acute Care PNP SIG Website A forum for the promotion of nurse practitioners and other advanced practice nurses functioning in pediatric acute and critical care roles
Pediatric Drug Dosing
These reputable guides help specify drug dosing for pediatric patients.
- Children’s Hospital of the Kings Daughters 2016 Pediatric Medication Handbook
- American Academy of Pediatrics Emergency Drug Dosing Guide for Pediatrics
- MedCalc: Pediatric Dosing Calculator
Pediatric Drug Dosing Apps
- Pedi Quik Calc Pedi QuikCalc is the fastest, most up-to-date medical calculator for pediatrics!
- Peds Med Peds Meds is a simple, yet elegant dosage calculator with a searchable and customizable drug listing.
- Google Research Article Search
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- JAMA Critical Care Medicine
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- Journal of Gerontology & Geriatric Research
- Collaborative Pediatric Critical Care Research Network (CPCCRN)
- Journal Club App Written by physicians, Journal Club’s article reviews are distilled into bite-size morsels that clinicians can digest quickly. Think of it as CliffsNotes for medical research.
- Calculating Daily Dose – CDC How to calculate the total daily dose of opioids for safer dosage.
- Opioid Conversion Calculator This calculator is intended for calculating the Morphine Equivalent Dose (MED) dose for a patient taking one or more opioid medications.
- PDMP MME Calculator MME calculator from the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Training and Technical Assistance Program
- RxPerts Industry Insights -Morphine Equivalent Dosing From Wolters Kluwer
Scope of Practice Resources
- AACN Updates Scope and Standards for Acute Care NPs The updated “AACN Scope and Standards for Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Practice” can be downloaded as a PDF for free on AACN’s website at www.aacn.org/acnpscopeandstandards.
- Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Practice: Results of a 5-Year Longitudinal Study From the American Journal of Critical Care
- Family Nurse Practitioner or Acute Care Nurse Practitioner in the Emergency Department? From the Advanced Emergency Nursing Journal, a discussion about about which qualifications are necessary to work in emergency care settings.
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties Statement on Acute Care and Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Practice September 2012
- Adult-Gerontology Acute Care and Primary Care Competencies 2016 From the American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Scope of Practice John D. Gonzalez DNP, RN, ACNP-BC, ANP-C
Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Scope of Practice Resources
- PICU Essentials by UF Health This app was designed to be used as a practical handbook for rotating residents, advanced practice providers, and fellows
- NAPNAP Position Statement on the Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- A National Survey of PICU Nurse Practitioners – Opportunities to Standardize Practices and Optimize Service Delivery From the Children’s Hospital Association
- Educational Preparation and Postgraduate Training Curriculum for Pediatric Critical Care Nurse Practitioners From the Society of Critical Care Medicine and World Federation of Pediatric Intensive and Critical Care Societies
- Establishment of Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Advanced Practice Provider Services From the World Journal for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disorders
www.openpediatrics.org: it is open source and free education put out by Harvard/Boston Children’s – they have a tons of acute and critical care pediatric learning modules.
- NAPNAP Acute Care PNP SIG website: acnapnap.enpnetwork.com
- University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Critical Care Lectures: http://pediatrics.uthscsa.edu/
Advanced Practice Critical Care Jobs
Melnic is a nationwide search firm focused on Advanced Practice placements for APRNs and PAs. Take advantage of our specialized job matching services a visit our job board and sign up for job alerts. The best part? There is never a fee for candidates to work with us!
Thank you to our contributors:
Ann-Marie Brown, PhD, APRN, CPNP-AC/PC, CCRN, FCCM
Assistant Clinical Professor
Specialty Coordinator, Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Program
Nell Hodgson Woodruff School of Nursing | Emory University
April N. Kapu, DNP, RN, ACNP- BC, FAANP
Associate Nursing Officer, VUMC Advanced Practice and Director,
Office of Advanced Practice
Associate Professor, Vanderbilt University School of Nursing
Assistant in Critical Care, Dept. of Anesthesiology
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Jay M. Hunter, DNP, RN, CPNP-AC, CCRN, CPEN, CPN
Assistant Clinical Professor | Family Health Care Nursing | UCSF School of Nursing
Nurse Practitioner, Pediatric Critical Care | UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital
San Francisco, CA
Join Our Critical Care Connect
Get monthly clinical resources and program briefs from leaders in your field.
Disclaimer: While we make every effort to present accurate and reliable information on our site, Melnic does not endorse or certify such information, nor can we guarantee its accuracy and efficacy. Links were active at the time of publication Links to external sources of information are created, published, and maintained by organizations that are independent of Melnic. Users should independently review and verify information for accuracy prior to use. Melnic is not responsible for liability, or damages of any kind arising out of use, reference to, or reliance on such information.